Friday, January 20, 2012

Transition Period. New Essential Supplies

Well, I stopped painting and blogging for a while because it got nice outside and I took a job in Virginia. After moving, my new neighbors had some friends over and one had a bunch of tattoos and I brought up "tattoo art". He showed me all of his traditional flash spit-shading he has done and I showed him my desperate attempt. This was the first person to ever give me a personal tip on how to spit shade. He brought over many supplies I had never heard of and taught me some techniques I had not found in any previous books. He learned from a friend of his that is a tattoo artist in VA Beach. Below are the materials he gave/recommended to me.

Essential Supplies:
Good Water Color paper (not mixed media)
Artist Pens (good sharpies, get a fine and medium tip, I even use the bold - Friend uses a calligraphy pen)
Thin tip pencil (I use mechanical)
Calligraphy black ink - "super black india ink by speedball"
Professional Acrylic INK!!!!! - I use liquitex because Dr. Ph. Martins' is expensive
Good brushes - both #1 and #4 are essential - I use Beste round tip

Other Supplies:
Transfer paper (black sheet in corner of the picture)
Tracing paper

 I will explain the use of these in a future post!

No comments:

Post a Comment