Saturday, March 19, 2011

Romance in Acrylic

If you noticed in my earlier water color, I had this image of a couple by the Eiffel tower overlooking the city. I've never been to France, just had it in my mind! So, it sat in my brain even after I painted a quick version of it on water color, so I decided it would be my next attempt at acrylic, a passionate little piece that I could hang up in my home. Actually, it was originally for my parents anniversary, but I didn't want company to come over and say "i didn't realize you had a 10 year old child!"... and my parents respond "no, he is 24!"

Tips i am learning for acrylic:
1)Go from background to foreground
*I started with the dark sky and worked up to the sunset
*Then the Eiffel tower, river,gate, tree and lastly, the couple

My big problem is that i don't have any white paint so all of my light color is super watered down acrylic (the river, which came out with a neat effect)
The other problem is that i was trying to keep a light reflection by the holding rail but it looks more like i just forgot to paint it in!

I am very proud of the blending of the sunset, it came out very well (at least the yellow and red). I mentioned this piece to someone and said "how do you get the dark to not show through?" as has been my problem since the beginning of this acrylic endeavor. They asked how i paint. I said i squirt out some acrylic on cardboard, mix some water in it, mix the shade that i want and put it on paper.

They looked at me and smiled, "you don't mix water into your paint" you dab your brush, but it is not watercolor!" "OHHH!! I get it now... I think"

No comments:

Post a Comment